What You Need to Know about Filming and Photography Permits and Location Agreements for the Golden Gate Bridge

Where to Film/Photograph?  |  Photos of Locations  |  Timing, Permits & Fees

A permit/location agreement from the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District (GGBHTD) is required for filming and photography if the images or footage recorded are captured on GGBHTD property for any and all types of commercial use.

Where do you really want to capture commercial-use footage, film, or photos?

The Golden Gate Bridge (GGB) is operated by the GGBHTD. The GGB property generally includes the roadway, sidewalks, and the southeast and southwest end parking and visitor areas.

GGB South End

The general boundaries between the GGB, the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA), and the Presidio Trust are shown below (click here for larger map):


GGB North End

  • Vista Point at the northeast end is Caltrans property. Email Rhonda Weber at rhonda.weber@dot.ca.gov
  • Marin Headlands/Battery Spencer/Conzelman Road/Fort Baker/Cavallo Point areas are under GGNRA jurisdication and its permit process. Email Melinda Moses at mmoses@nps.gov
  • Areas under the North Approach Viaduct of the GGB are under the jurisdication of the GGB. Email filming@goldengate.org


Photos of the Various Locations/Jurisdictions

Southeast End - GGB Property at Flag Pole Hill

Southeast End - GGB Property near Fort Point Overlook

South End - GGB Property on roadway. Note: all cameras must be concealed in the vehicle footprint if a filming permit for the roadway is granted.

Southeast End of GGB - GGNRA Jurisdiction on Moore Road to Fort Point

Southeast End – GGNRA jurisdiction at Battery East Parking Lot

Southwest End of GGB - GGNRA Jurisdiction

Northeast End of GGB (Fort Baker) GGNRA Jurisdiction

Northeast End of GGB - Caltrans Jurisdiction at Vista Point

Timing, Permits, and Fees for Filming and Photography on GGB Property

For the GGB to issue a permit/location agreement (see sample filming agreement HERE), 30-days advance notice is required to arrange and plan things. We require very specialized insurance up to $5 million depending on the nature and location of the project (see sample insurance letter HERE). On weekdays, filming/photography is limited to 10 am to 2pm, and on weekends, it is limited to sunrise to 2 pm.

The fees for a filming permit/location agreement are as follows:

  • $10,000 per day for Motion Pictures, Movies, TV Movies, Feature Films, TV Series, Music Videos, TV Commercials, Internet, Website, or YouTube Commercials/Promotions/Films, and any other form of commercial use.
  • $2,500 per day for documentary, travel, educational, or informational uses.

The fee for a photography permit/location agreement are as follows:

  • $1,000 per day for single-use still photograph, such as a magazine cover.
  • $2,000 per day for multiple images for stock photography.