July 15, 2009

Golden Gate Ferry Secures $3.2 million in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Funding

 

On July 15, 2009, Golden Gate Ferry Division of the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District (District) was informed by Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey’s office that the Department of Transportation Discretionary Grant Program, though the Federal Transit Administration, has authorized grant funds through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Funding in the amount of $3.2 million for the Golden Gate Ferry Sausalito Ferry Landing Improvements Project (Project).

According to Celia Kupersmith, District General Manager/CEO, “These grant funds come at a perfect time for our much needed improvements at our Sausalito Ferry Landing. Thanks go to the entire Golden Gate Bridge District delegation, particularly Speaker Pelosi, Congresswoman Woolsey, Senator Boxer and Senator Feinstein. We are excited to be able to move forward with this ‘shovel ready’ project that provides for more efficient boarding and overall greater safety.”

The Project will replace the passenger access ramps, vessel docking float, and ferry vessel boarding gangways to improve access for ferry passengers traveling between San Francisco and Sausalito. The Project includes two key segments of work: (1) conducting the required environmental studies, and (2) the design, engineering, and construction of passenger access ramps, vessel docking float, and passenger gangways used for loading/unloading.

The Project enhances passenger safety by providing improved loading/offloading operations for passengers and bicyclists, as well as improved accessibility for persons with disabilities. Access to the vessels, will be easier, faster, and safer for all ferry users.

Project Funding Funding for the Project will result in approximately 100 new jobs. The total Project cost is $4 million, with a federal request (80%) of $3.2 million and the remaining 20% or $800,000 from District funds.

Project Schedule Estimated construction contract award June 2010 and estimated completion February 2011.

Golden Gate Ferry is the largest public ferry operator on the San Francisco Bay, providing for just under 2 million passengers annually. Golden Gate Ferry provides service from two locations in Marin County to San Francisco: Sausalito and Larkspur. These services provide an alternative direct link to downtown San Francisco from the north, relieving peak hour congestion in the US Highway 101 Corridor. Visit www.goldengate.org to learn more.